Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Confidence in Clothz



Whether it be noticeable or not, clothing has an effect on our moods and on our confidence.  When you look good, you feel good.  When you wear big, baggy, comfy clothes, you feel groggy.  The clothes give off a bedtime feel, and that reflects our mood.  When we feel put together, we act put together.  A simple nice pair of jeans or slacks and a causal top can do wonders to our confidence.

There are must haves to every college students wardrobe.  Every one should have a business casual outfit, a dressy outfit, and simple clothing items that can be mixed and matched for multiple styles and wardrobes.  What we wear can be easily changed by subtracting and adding pieces.

For an example, instead of wearing sweatpants and a t-shirt, wearing a pair of dark jeans with a t-shirt accompanied with a scarf or a watch could turn a slouchy outfit into a more casual outfit and more respected outfit.

I love feeling comfortable, and wore work out clothes to class all the time.  However, what I wore reflected a lazy appearance, which ended up causing me to lose a job opportunity.  I had one class with a guest speaker who had the power to hand out jobs to any one he felt would be a great candidate.  Because I was wearing work out clothes and he was dressed in a suit, I felt less superior and almost embarrassed.  I did not feel confident talking to him.  When I finally expressed some of my thoughts to him, I was so nervous and embarrassed, I could not even make eye contact because I was so worried about how my clothes reflected on me. Though he liked my ideas, some one who wore sweaty looking jogging clothes did not make a great impression.  To this day, I know if I would have cared a little more about my appearance, I may have gotten an amazing job.

I do not want any one to feel as if they have to change who they are or that only appearances matter.  I want to express the importance of self presentation and the effect it has on ourselves and others.  College of all places is the time to impress, dress to impress.

Some must haves a college student should have in their closet is
For Women

  • Black shoes
  • Black pants
  • Dark jeans
  • Black and white cami's
  • Neutral colored cardigan
  • Blouses of different colors
  • Statement pieces


For Men

  • Black shoes
  • Black pants
  • Dark jeans
  • White and black t-shirts
  • Collard button up
  • Neutral sweater or jacket
  • Statement pieces


These simple articles of clothing can be mix and matched to create different outfits, or to wear alone to keep things comfy, but casual.  Adding a statement piece, such as a necklace, watch, or cuff links, can dress up an outfit.  Neutral colors keep thing calm, but adding a touch of color can also add a bold statement!

Just be careful on colors, because colors can be blinding!










2 comments:

  1. I definitely can relate to this entry! When attending class earlier in the day, I usually just wear active wear or sweats and a t shirt verses later in the day. I have more time to put thought into an outfit, as well as hair and makeup. My outfit choices definitely alter my mood and can be the result as to why I may or may not have had such a productive day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I was the same way, I just wanted to be comfortable and sleep in until the last minute. But then I was so tired in class and felt embarrassed when I had to meet with outside of class with professors and what not. I also realized, as much as I hated it, when I woke up a little earlier to get ready, I was not as tired in class and I no longer felt rushed.

      Delete